Using ideas presented in papers

Rick McGeer rick at mcgeer.com
Mon May 26 21:57:40 UTC 2003

Alan,

Of course, one should always attribute.  But there is another question here.
Suppose somebody patents a structure or protocol without implementing it.  I
independently discover the thing, or something closely related, and
implement it to see how it works in practice, how it fits with existing
stuff, etc.  In the tradition of scientific publication, I want not only to
write up the results but also release the source so others can play with the
idea, experiment, extend, etc.  I've got no interest in selling the thing or
exploiting it commercially.  Question: have I infringed the patent, am I
liable for damages, etc?  It would be really nasty to get sued for writing a
paper...

Best,
Rick.

 --
Rick McGeer           Ph: (925) 254-2524
50 Diablo View Road  FAX: (925) 253-0623
eMail: rick at mcgeer.com
Yahoo IM: rickmcgeer
MSN IM: rickmcgeer at hotmail.com
AOL IM: rick mcgeer 1