Image is displayed on startup

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed May 28 01:45:10 UTC 2003

Ok, are you sure you don't have squeak running with the window hidden?

Now the reason I ask is because in 3.2.1 (or so) if you drag and drop
an image
onto a running squeak VM that really generates an open document apple
event with
one (or more) documents. In this case the image file.

This list of documents generates special VM event which
resolves into a Squeak event of type EventTypeDragDropFiles which is
processed by
ExternalDropHandler

see ExternalDropHandler(class)>>registeredHandlers

I think the handler for image files is

ExternalDropHandler (class)>>defaultImageHandler

I'll point out if you drag and drop say a bunch of jpegs and an image
onto the squeak vm,
that should open the image (assuming file ending is .image or .ima or
file type is 'STim',
then open jpeg views on the list of jpegs.  Unless of course squeak is
running then
you'll get the jpegs and a squeak image to look at.

This of course assumes things are working as I think they should be. So
if you a test case
where this doesn't work as described then it's a bug.

Well to control you could look at ExternalDropHandler and see what it
does for
image files and change it...

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 04:20  PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Here's how I run Squeak on my MacOS 8.6 G3.
> I take a standard download, close the windows I don't want,
> set the Preferences I like, and save a new image.
> I drag the new image to DragThing and drop it there.
> Then whenever I want to run Squeak, I click on the icon in DragThing.
>
> This used to work with no problems, but starting with I think 3.2
> it sometimes displays the image as if I'd done "open|file".
> Does anyone know why this happens and how to control it?
>
> It's a minor irritation rather than a real problem.

===