Refactoring FileSystem classes

Anthony Adachi adachipro at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 05:57:28 UTC 2003

--- Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:
 > Hi Anthony--
>
> 	Flow provides a completely redone filesystem that I
> like a lot.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look into it.
Although, at a link I found on the Squeak Swiki site I
came across this note:

http://www.netjam.org/flow/

" I last successfully tested this release with a
Squeak 3.2 final system, on x86-based Debian
GNU/Linux, Windows 98SE and WinCE systems. I got
negative results on OpenBSD 2.8 and 3.1, apparently
due to a bug in libc_r and/or the kernel. I've
received positive reports for MacOS X 10.1"

It doesn't mention anything about compatibility with
Mac OS 9.1 (which has a different file system than Mac
OS X).

Moreover, it's not that I'm in search of a replacement
for the standard File System classes or asking if
there is an alternative framework available which I
can load into Squeak on my Mac in particular.

Rather, what I'm asking is that we seriously
considering going about refactoring the File System
classes (which come standard with the image) so we can
bring forwards some positive change on this issue for
everyone who uses the Squeak language.

Thanks,

Anthony