is squeak really object oriented ?

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Wed May 28 16:06:19 UTC 2003

> i think you agree that the arabic notation and the "dotty" notation are
> interchangable.

Since arabic representations extend beyond just positive integers, I'm
interested in the "dotty" notation for trivial arabic notation values
0.5, and -5, or whether "dotty" notation can even remotely extend to
represent a couple of other useful numbers, pi, and i.

As to copying, there are indeed physical objects that copy themselves
without the need for external "factories" - we here on planet Earth
call them "cells".  Strictly speaking, in mitosis, the original is
destroyed and replaced by two entities built from parts of the
original, but they copies are usually functionally equivalent and
interchangeable with each other.

I've never understood the fascination with the pseudo-philosophy of
"The Matrix" - the whole "we only know what our senses tell us" thing
is really not much of a step up from the "what if atoms are little
solar systems" and "what if I went back in time and killed my
grandfather" types of philosophy questions that seem profound when
you're a teenager smoking weed.

-- Duane