Another object view - (was RE: copy yourself ?)

Dominic Fox dominic.fox1 at ntlworld.com
Wed May 28 22:00:17 UTC 2003

> > Our only understanding of and access to reality is a simulation. Period.

Nobody ever died of simulated starvation. Alimentation (eating, drinking,
sensual enjoyment) is a form of access to reality, although not a form of
understanding (compare T. Eliot, top bard: "poetry should be enjoyed before
it is understood").

Only a mind without a body could dwell entirely amongst simulacra: what is
more, without a body it is far from clear what they would be simulacra *for*,
what the terms of reference of the simulation would be (the simulacra in "The
Matrix" map the bodily needs and desires of real bodies in the pods: if there
were no real bodies anywhere, the Matrix would not have the physical
constraints that Neo learns to violate. Somewhere in the world of "The
Matrix" is a world that is not the world of the Matrix. It's difficult to
know where the "Period" should go, as we could just as easily slip into an
infinite regress. But it's a dumb action movie, anyway: read Husserl,
Merleau-Ponty, Levinas if you really want to think this stuff through).

I think of "Naked Objects" as avatars of objects: proxies you can do business
with. The same goes for the various glyphs and diagrams floating around in
Morphic-space. For that matter, the same goes for the "raw" code you write
and inspect in the browser. And objects themselves are useful abstractions of
processes carried out within the VM, itself an abstraction. Objects are an
abstraction that allows an embodied human to meet the machine on terms
embodied humans find relatively congenial; avatars such as Morphs are there
to make things more congenial still. They're all about friendliness,
familiarity, lowering the impedance between one interface and another.
They're not really about epistemology at all.

Dominic