hardware (was: embedded or not)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu May 29 00:06:30 UTC 2003

On Sunday 25 May 2003 18:18, David Harris wrote:
> I ran your page through Bablefish and it was a little more
> comprehensible.  (http://babelfish.altavista.com/)

It is very, very strange. But an interesting experience - some of the
things the translation had trouble with turned out to be typos or badly
phrased in the original language. This gives me hope that a
multi-lingual Squeak with semi-automatic translation might work
reasonably well.

I should have mentioned that the $30 general purpose computer I was
talking about earlier is for small quantities. One of my projects is to
actually have a $5 Smalltalk machine. That wouldn't have a keyboard or
display, but would live inside of a light pen that would connect to a
TV set. Think of it as a "tablet PC for the poor" :-)

A little more on topic, after I finish my current machine I want to
implement the Squeak VM in Verilog on the Xess development board. I
wonder if I should do it 100% by hand or if the Slang translator could
be perverted to do part of the job. This is just a learning experience
and not a commercial project. I want to see how fast things can go with
no fancy tricks.

-- Jecel