image is displayed on startup

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 29 01:57:58 UTC 2003

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
	ok so in your Squeak3.5-5180.1.image
	when you run it and click on the desktop to get a world menu
	then pick help
	then pick vm statistics from the help menu
	what does it say?

This is back on my desktop machine, which has
  Built-in Memory: 64M
  Virtual Memory: 65MB used on <hard disc>
but still runs Squeak in 29.4MB (the same as the 30 000kB it asks for).
Note that this machine has LESS virtual memory than the laptop where
it doesn't work.  I can't run any tests on that machine because someone
else is using it now.

    memory	15,668,748 bytes
        old	10,611,724 bytes (67.7%)
        young    1,215,308 bytes ( 7.8%)
        used    11,827,032 bytes (75.5%)
        free	 3,841,716 bytes (24.5)

    help|space left:
         4,239,160 bytes (internal)
         4,238,160 bytes (physical)
        18,288,872 bytes (total)

That's the .1.image.  But note that clicking on this image WORKS
on the machine running MacOS 8.6.  Clicking on the same image on
the machine running MacOS 9.0 gives me a white window where I cannot
ask for vm statistics.  Since Squeak gets the same amount of memory
on both machines, I'd expect the vm statistics to be the same on
both machines.

For the stock 5180.image,

    memory	15,394,432 bytes
        old	11,428,384 bytes (74.2%)
        young	   274,052 bytes ( 1.8%)
        used	11,702,436 bytes (76.0%)
        free	 3,690,996 bytes (24.0*)

help|space left:
	 4,179,676 bytes (internal)
	 4,179,676 bytes (physical)
	18,519,372 bytes (total)

Note again that clicking on this WORKS on the machine running 8.6.

The VM itself is only about 2MB; of the 30 000 kB that Squeak asks
for, what is the other 10 MB used for?