image is displayed on startup

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu May 29 02:34:19 UTC 2003

> That's the .1.image.  But note that clicking on this image WORKS
> on the machine running MacOS 8.6.  Clicking on the same image on
> the machine running MacOS 9.0 gives me a white window where I cannot
> ask for vm statistics.  Since Squeak gets the same amount of memory
> on both machines, I'd expect the vm statistics to be the same on
> both machines.

Well let me ask, are you using DragThing 2.9 to do this, by setting up
your image file in the documents dock
then setting the Dock option to  'use single-click to open items'  Thus
clicking once on the squeak image document in the documents tab which
launches squeak?

Versus double clicking on the image file in the finder? (does that
work?)

This all works fine on my test machine with os 9.1. I'll need to
install os 9.0 on another drive to see
  if this is an OS issue, that will take a day or so.  My thoughts here
are some change in os 9.0
event processing is causing problems with the window open. We changed
how this works awhile
back (3.2.x?) to hide the window because it's empty when squeak starts,
then it gets resized and then made visible
the first time ioShowDisplay is called  via primitiveShowDisplayRect
which seems to want to repaint the entire screen
at some point in the squeak startup processing.

Then again it could be an issue with a zillion extensions adding onto
MacShowWindow() and causing
a problem.

===