[IMPORTANT]SqueakMap moving soon!

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri May 30 13:03:40 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Short version for the impatient:

Because of a move of the SM master server, SM will not be available for
*changes* in the map (registering new packages etc) for approximately 1
hour on saturday - if all goes as planned. Plain *users* of the map
should not notice anything - but if something weird happens you know
what is going on. :-)

Longer version for lovers of details:

As some of you - ehrm - may be aware I have been fiddling with moving
the master SM server to a box at squeakfoundation.org. That box is the
same as modules.squeakfoundation.org - the server Cees set up a while
ago for hosting Squeak modules.

Doing this I have managed to shoot myself in the foot a couple of times
(VirtualHosting configs in Apache can be ... tricky) and that have
caused Daniel's packages to get offline, including the quite vital
Package loader.

BUT... now everything seems to work ok. This is the plan for the
upcoming 24 hours:

1. The DNS name "map1.squeakfoundation.org" has just been retargeted to
said machine. But since no SM server is running there yet nothing should
happen. The clients are still trying map1, failing and then falling back
on map2 which is still pointing at the machine here at Bluefish. In 24
hours the change should have propagated itself "all over the Internet".

2. At 12.00 GMT tomorrow saturday I will turn SqueakMap on map2 to
readonly. It will say so on the webpage. I will then proceed by copying
the map over to map1 (at squeakfoundation) and start the map there with
writes enabled.

3. Finally I will shut down map2. I will add a webpage explaining that
the map has moved to map1. (But this will be unavailable for an unknown
period of time the following week when we move our office)

When the map goes live at map1 all clients requesting updates will start
going there instead automatically, since they have always tried map1
before map2.

After this the correct web url to the master will be:

	http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm

Later we can add an alias called "map" and also remove the trailing
"/sm" but I need to fix some things in SM before that can be properly
done.

The move should make SM more stable and accessible. The new machine also
has much better bandwidth - even though it is slower CPU-wise, but that
shouldn't show. The master on map1 is also reinstalled with a fresh new
VM from Ian running without X and with a vanilla 3.5 image + latest
stable Comanche. This also makes it potentially more stable than the
current master.

regards, Göran

PS. I did have to fix one silly bug when I moved over to new Comanche -
there may be other bugs lurking, if you notice anything weird - please
report.

PSS. The new SM1.1 is moving forward, especially since Brian Rice is
helping me with it. More about that later.