Squeak PDA hardware: getting better and better!

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Nov 1 05:42:44 UTC 2003

  Aaron,

> If you're in the market for a Squeak PDA, but don't want to spend much,
> your best bet is probably the new Dell Axim X3. The cheapest model is
> $229, and includes some decent hardware, including a 300-400 XScale PXA255
> and a 200 MHz bus (the Zaurus line has a 100 MHz bus, older iPAQs of the
> 31xx and 36xx series 30 MHz, IIRC). I've not done any benchmarking, but if
> anyone is up to it, I'd be interested in the information.

  Zaurus SL-C700 has 100MHz bus, but the later versions, C750 and C760
have 200MHz bus.  IIRC, the 36xx series have 103MHz bus.  (Yes, I
remember that memory bus for PXA 250's are slower than StrongArm's.)

> Today, Toshiba released a new PDA- a PocketPC with a 640x480 screen. Like
> the Zaurus, but without the keyboard and running WinCE instead of Linux.
> Both factors can be seen as a positive or a negative, depending on what
> your needs and persuasions, but considering that it takes all kinds, there
> may be a person with oodles of money to blow on some really nice hardware
> on which to run Squeak. Built-in wifi even. $599 for this model.
>
> The Toshiba PocketPC e800:
> http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_Toshiba_e805_e405_Later_Today?site=PPC

  Yup.  This looks interesting, indeed.  I don't know any other models
that uses PXA 263...

> Also, if anyone has a PDA and feel like donating some values, I have a
> *very* simple benchmarking app in Squeak up at:
>
> 	http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/bench.zip
>
> It spits out two numbers, a processed #tinyBenchmarks.  It's a subset of
> the nicer and more generalized benchmarking app I wrote (
> http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/squeak/bencher.jpg ), but for folks who
> don't want to spend much time it gets the job done.

  Good.  Would you mind to include the screen update benchmark?

  Thank you for this update!

-- Yoshiki