Just some questions

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Nov 1 16:13:29 UTC 2003

On Saturday 01 November 2003 12:42 am, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Is there a somewhat more elaborated editor available for Squeak?

Not something that an emacs user would like; there has been a Vim-compatible
editor available.

> Is there a news reader available for squeak?

Not that I know of.

> Are you using squeak as you shell? What I mean are you starting you
> squeak once and do not leave it for your all day work?

Except for using it for email, yes. I still use other mail programs (though
the newest version of Celeste is getting pretty good).

I do use Ian's Telnet package, so I can have a regular shell session running
in a Squeak window, so I use Vim to edit external files.

> I found that I can use squeak for scripting too. Things like cleaning
> up directories etc. Do you use squeak that way too?

Yes.  If you get the OSProcess plugin there is very good integration with the
native command-line tools, as well as a shell that can intermix Squeak
expressions in pipelines with other programs.

I'm assuming you're running some kind of Unix; I don't know how the two
packages I mention work on Windows or other systems.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com