'Real' zooming&panning

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 1 15:50:19 UTC 2003

On Saturday 01 November 2003 04:50, cg at tric.nl wrote:
> Andreas Raab <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>
> A second attempt gave slightly better results. However, when scaling,
> the fills are scaled (and scroll along nicely), all the outlines however
> stay at scale 1.0 (and don't scroll), and clipping is a mess.
>
> I figure Morphic is not the right thing for this job - probably I need
> to do a Model/Presentation separation and simply render the presentation
> directly with Balloon.
>
> (If anyone could send me working code which does accomplish this in
> Morphic, I'd be delighted - we postponed the M/P 'split' twice already
> and really would like to stay inside Morphic)

This is why I use Python libs for various graphics. Morphics internal graphics
architecture is a rats nest of conflicting code, and half the
translation/rotation features are broken in various ways. Everyone talks
about fixing it, but no one ever does. It really makes doing any non-trivial
graphics programming in Squeak a pain.

Everyone is too busy building the next cool one-off project, and no one is
cleaning up or maintaining the morphic infrastructure. Nevermind the fun I
had trying to get sound to work under Linux.

With Python, everything I've wanted to do works.

-Daniel