duplicateControlAndAltKeys not working on WinXP

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Nov 2 00:39:04 UTC 2003

> It would be lovely if it could be true but different OSs have
> different approaches and it can be very difficult bordering on
> impossible to get everything the same. For example, RISC OS simply
> doesn't give you key up and downs in the GUI interface.

I find this hard to believe. All modern GUIs recognize the difference
between a character (which may even result from a series of key strokes such
as for accented characters) and the actual keys pressed.

> It _will_
> provide ultra-low level events for that sort of thing but you have no
> idea if the event really applies to your particular
> application. _Very_ annoying.

Well, you could keep track of whether your application is the "active" app
(depending on the means of your OS) and report these ultra-low level events
only if the app is active. This will probably do the trick.

Cheers,
  - Andreas