Harvesting Process is not working

Peter van Rooijen squeak at vanrooijen.com
Sun Nov 2 21:36:17 UTC 2003

From: "Marcus Denker" <marcus at ira.uka.de>
> The Harvesting process as defined (over a year!!) ago is not working.
>
> So, personally I am really interested what people think about this.
>
> Especially valuable would be the input of those happily submitting
> changesets, but not participating in the review process: How do you
> think this can possibly work?

I don't understand. Since the harvesting process was defined, I've submitted
one change set, and have reviewed none. How come this disparity? Isn't the
answer simple and clear? Everybody can submit change sets, only a few people
have been chosen to harvest.

> "I don't have time". No. This wrong:
> People have time to participate in elaborate huge dicussions on this
> list, they have time to actually produce changesets and submitt them.

I agree 100%. I have time. I would be happy and proud to help. Nobody told
me they wanted me to help. Is there somewhere I can sign up?

> Time can't be the problem. "reviewing" a simple change does not take
> that much time.

Only the time to run the tests, and if they all fail, see if their
assertions are correct, and if they are, install the changeset, see if all
the tests pass, and if they do, approve it. Indeed, it shouldn't take more
than 10 or 20 minutes even when there are 10 or 20 tests with 2 or 3
assertions each.

> So what's the problem? too complicated? Not worth
> the effort?

Like I said, I don't have a problem. When can I start?

Cheers,

Peter