Harvesting Process is not working

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Mon Nov 3 14:06:40 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2003, at 2:08 PM, Adam Spitz wrote:
>
>> I think that the answer to his question, though, is that the way it
>> *should* work is that when someone submits a changeset affecting
>> the Wobulator package, the owners (stewards?) of the Wobulator
>> package should be the ones responsible for reviewing it - because
>> those are the people who have the authority to get it into the
>> official Wobulator distribution. I haven't reviewed any
>> non-Celeste-related changesets in a long time, but I try to catch
>> all the Celeste-related ones.
>

> I absolutely agree with this.  Marcus asks what has happened between
> 3.2 and 3.6.   The answer is that we have come a long way (not, by all
> means, all the way) towards breaking the image into separately
> maintainable packages, which will eventually allow an effective
> distribution of the reviewing and harvesting tasks.  IMO, that's the
> only way harvesting is going to work - with changesets submitted by
> everyone, but reviewed and incorporated by package maintainers.

I second this...a package maintainer is the best person  (or persons) to
review and accept changes.  Unfortunately, I don't think we have package
maintainers for most of the components in the base Squeak image.
Perhaps it would help if we had a couple or three maintainers assigned
for each subsystem in the base Squeak.  It might also help if bug/fix
submissions were categorized by package.  It would also be nice if we
used something other than the mailing list for reporting and tracking
bugs and enhancements to packages.

- Stephen