Font Problems with 3.6

Thomas A Petersen tpeterse at csc.com
Mon Nov 3 14:36:03 UTC 2003

Ned, et. al,

[snip]
>> I use    TTCFont   newTextStyleFromTTFile: 'someFontFile.TTF'
>> with generally better results.  Maybe it's the fonts I load or
>> something, but they seem to look better when loaded
>> this way.

>What difference do you see?

It seems to do a better job of rendering the fonts in smaller sizes like
12, 14, 16.
I still get the occasional gronkey letter on a menu or a workspace, but it
is sooo
much better looking than the fileList version.  I haven't looked into where
it is
doing the decoding lately, but I noticed that the TTCFont class calls
methods
that render the font to a larger canvas and then summarize it down to the
desired size.  I was working on the same attack, but Andraes and Yoshiki
beat
me to it and did a better job.

<FanMail>
>> Squeak is seriously cool!

>Glad you think so!

Squeak is cool because:
    - The environment lets you be expressive with fewer restrictions.
    - Working with living objects has serious advantages.
    - It is the only environment that has stayed close to the original goal
of the "idea processor"
    - The Squeak community is a great place hang out, contribute to, and
learn from.
    - The license issues are understood and you don't need activation codes
that cost $6,000 each.
    - Squeak is just fun to play with and use.
</FanMail>

Thanks much and I hope this helps,

tap