Harvesting Process is not working

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Nov 3 14:17:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:36:36PM +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> "Provoost, P (Paul)" <P.Provoost at rf.rabobank.nl> wrote:
> > Marcus Denker wrote:
> > > Actually, I think we are in just this state allready for more than
> > > 2 years.  Have you ever tried to explain somebody what's new in 3.6?
> > > There is *nothing*. There was nothing new in 3.5. And not much in 3.4,
> > > either. Squeak is dead.
> >
> No, I definitely would not read it like that. And I think Marcus was
> mostly trying to make a point.

Yes. I'm not trying to scare anyone away (and if anything you want is
a Smalltalk-80 System, then the development that Squeak sees is pretty
much perfect for you: Squeak allready is a nice smalltalk system!)

> 3.6 on the other hand IMHO had quite a few bits in it. I wrote about
> this a bit just after the release. And since SM is around a lot of the
> exciting stuff isn't going into the image - BECAUSE IT DOESN'T NEED TO.
> If we look at the abundance of cool stuff on SM I would say that Squeak
> is VERY far from dead. It is IMHO more alive than EVER.

I think I should have deleted the last part of my mail (I think it
is true, but not that much related to the problem with harvesting the
submissions.).

So, yes, SqueakMap is a really great thing. It even works so good, that
people registerd patches on SqueakMap, that are *not* standalone modules...
e.g. Look-Enhancements, Anthony's compiler, lot's of important small improvements
for delopments (e.g. DebugCreateMethods, BreakPoints). The Date stuff, LargeLists
and so on.

I even reagard the Refactoring Browser as a Patch: It has a lot of
really nicely designed things (e.g. the RB-AST) that could replace
those "in the image" (speaking of what is now the image, which will
be a Set of packages in the future).

Registering this on squeakmap is good at first, because it makes
those things available.

But we need a way to integrate those. And there we are back at harvesting:
We don't even manage to integrate trivial bugfixes...

> Sidenote: In fact, I think it is a bit annoying when people "threaten"
> to abandon Squeak for this and that reason - I find it childish and
> incredibly counter productive. Marcus isn't doing that - but he comes
> pretty close. Other members have been playing that game earlier though.

I'm really not threatening to quit... really not!

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de