[KCP] Event notification call for feedback

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Nov 4 09:47:50 UTC 2003

On Mardi, nov 4, 2003, at 10:30 Europe/Zurich, Brent Pinkney wrote:

> I still strongly believe that the Smalltalk tradition of not naming
> classes with type information should be observed.
>
> e.g. ClassRenameEvent should just be ClassRename.
>
> This is consistent with the ANSI exceptions:
>
>    MessageNotUnderstood intead of MessageNotUnderstoodError
>    DivideByZero instead of DivideByZeroError
>
> I recall there being some consensus on this tradition/standard.
>
> PS. There should also be a KCP exercise to bring all existing
> exceptions/events into line.

Hi brent

We are focusing on other stuff right now. I got a look at VisualWorks
and
they are inconsistent in naming Error. So if other like the idea go
ahead but think that we should have a deprecation mechanism for them.
For method this is easy but for class renaming it does not work.
May be one idea would be to inspect the stack when a changeset is
loaded and have a table somewhere containing the renaming information
DivideByZeroError -> DivideByZero.

Not clear to me how to do it but this will become important.