Harvesting Process is not working

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Tue Nov 4 13:36:45 UTC 2003

cg at tric.nl wrote:

>Stephen Pair  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>

>>Well, it seems like you want some sort of starting point that can take
>>to any and all information in the world.  How about:  http://www.google.com
>>

>With all respect, Stephen, pointing to Google when someone complains
>about usability to newbies (Squeak newbies, mind you - Peter isn't
>exactly a Smalltalk newbie) is not going to help.
>
>Squeak's usability just sucks in a lot of places, and the only way to
>make it better is to patiently listen to complaints and criticism and,
>little by little, fix it. If you think that newbies should use
>particular Google searches to find information, then these searches
>should be in a readily accessible place in the image.
>
>(note that when I'm talking about "Squeak's usability" I am taking the
>broadest possible scope, including websites etcetera).
>
>(note2: I don't find Peter in this thread as annoying as he can be ;-))

Yes, I agree...I was exaggerating a bit to make a point...which is that
while we do need to improve the newbie's experience, at the same time,
it is ok to expect a little effort on the part of the newbie...the web,
search engines, the Swikis and this mailing list are all excellent
sources that a newbie can and should use.

- Stephen