[KCP] Event notification call for feedback

Peter van Rooijen peter at vanrooijen.com
Tue Nov 4 14:11:14 UTC 2003

From: "Brent Pinkney" <brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za>
> I still strongly believe that the Smalltalk tradition of not naming
> classes with type information should be observed.
>
> e.g. ClassRenameEvent should just be ClassRename.

I agree that a class name should not end with a type/category suffix, but
that doesn't mean the type/category should be lost. Indeed, it must be kept.
The natural mechanism for that is the namespace.

After all, we have to be able to make the distinction between
Event.ClassRename and Refactoring.ClassRename, don't we?

In the absence of syntax for namespaces in names, you have no choice except
to make the disctinction in the full name itself. For this prefixes are
almost always better than suffixes.

Regards,

Peter van Rooijen
Amsterdam