Harvesting Process is not working

Joel Shellman joel at ikestrel.com
Tue Nov 4 23:23:33 UTC 2003

For general asychronous communication, a mailing list works great. But
for mentoring as I was referring to, it's the lag time of a mailing list
is immensely frustrating.

If you're concerned about losing valuable information that would be lost
by immediate mentoring, I could suggest that just as it would "behoove"
those who are trained to train others... it would also be good for them
to contribute a summary of the received information and provide that for
general consumption. In fact... even for the most lazy, capturing the
IRC or chat transcript, some simple editing, and posting the results
might be the bare minimum that the mentoree could do for everyone to
gain some benefit.

Wiki might be more effective for that in general, though (I certainly
prefer the living documentation aspect of wiki). A post to the mailing
list describing the new page might be useful... unless, better yet, does
Swiki support change notifications?

-joel