Harvesting Process is not working

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 5 01:12:53 UTC 2003

>> It would be a pity if Squeak would perish into obliviance ...

Anyone that saw some of the demos of neat stuff at OOPSLA could never
say this. John commented on at least some of them in his trip report.

A key point about the harvesting process is that it relies upon
volunteer labour from experienced people. Anyone, whatever their level
of experience can try out and comment upon a change, fix, or
enhancement, to whatever level of detail their experience leads them.
BUT for the core system we absolutely must try to limit approval powers
to people with demonstrated high levels of experience in dealing with
potentially complex issues otherwise we have a massive risk of a small
change having a big deleterious impact. Even with experienced people we
occasionally screw up.

Personally, I've done almost no BFAV fix handling for several weeks
because I'm trying to make the filing system work properly on a new
version of my machine. Until that is done and proven I simply can'y use
BFAV or indeed much of any tool. Other people are busy trying to make a
crust.

To improve the progress rate in fixing bugs and adding enhancements we
need more skilled labour. Many of you on the list could be (or are
already) suitably skilled and after some demonstrations of that skill we
(the harvesters and guides) would likely be very happy to delegate
areas of responsibility to more people.

tim
Make input easy to proofread.