"Environment tests"

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 5 08:15:01 UTC 2003

Hi Stef,

Thanks for the info. One thing I am wondering about is the following. When
we write tests, we typically model our "internal assumptions" quite
precisely which helps us to track may of the problems that occur when those
assumptions (even slightly) change. Is there anything in research that
explains why we don't do this on the environment? Is it just considered too
big a task? Or is it that we merely assume that we have an unchanging target
(which requires people/vendors to fix the API once and forever)? Or is it
that - because in many cases we simply don't know enough about the
environment (black box reuse) - we don't even know what assumptions we (and
the environemnt itself) is making? What I am interested in here is to
understand what the causal effect(s) for our effectively blindly relying on
the environment is.

Just curious,
  - Andreas