Harvesting Process is not working

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Nov 5 09:48:07 UTC 2003

Hi people!

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
[BIG SNIP of everything good that Andreas said :)]

I actually think this all boils down to the Big Issue that I intend to
post later today about:
The sense of ownership.

Currently noone feels responsible AND even worse - *entitled* to change
core pieces of Squeak.

That is why noone has... "dared" to change the first impression much.
Because today - if someone says "Hey, let's open vanilla Squeak with...
the package loader opened up!", then we can all be sure that some people
will object. And since noone has the real power to say "Damnit - I am in
charge of the vanilla desktop and *I* now decide that this is the way we
do it!", it doesn't get done.

The good part of this problem is that I think we can fix it!

We just need to start giving people power over areas of Squeak. Yes, the
Stewards idea again. I will post again later today with a proposal of
how we should do this in practice. This time I am betting my position as
a Guide on it. <- Yes, I am. If I fail this I will gladly resign.

Stay tuned - and then you nay-sayers can shoot me down and we can all go
back to the way "it always has been", with one Guide less to worry
about. ;-) ;-) (please people, prove me wrong this time)

regards, Göran