"Environment tests"

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Wed Nov 5 10:18:20 UTC 2003

A thought experiment:
         A package is a bounded object space.
         Many versions of a package can coexist in an image.
         Any version can replace any other
                 if they are identical.
         A version can replace different one,
                 but only under under certain conditions.
         The base Squeak release is a package.
         A package that uses/builds on another package identifies
                 this package and its version
         My NewStuff package declares that
                 it merges any number of (package/version).
         When somebody runs MyStuffmuch later, MyStuff will still use
                 the proper package/versions.

         If MyStuff is popular, I might later update it to use a newer
package/version to reduce total system complexity.

I know - this may be just a dream. May be somebody has done the research
already.

For what it may be worth
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway