[BUG] SqueakMap and (over)use of FileSystem

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Wed Nov 5 12:05:42 UTC 2003

Hi Göran,

> Diego Gomez Deck <DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> wrote:
> [SNIP of problem]
> > Any ideas?
>
> I am all ears.

I'll post a single fix (the one I explained before) that will not solve
all the problema but some of them.

> But SM2 will change this - there the package cache is
> situated below "sm" which IIRC isn't stored as an absolute path.
>
> > OT: Why SM depends so much on the file system? Why we don't use the
> > image? IIRC more than the 50% of the bugs in SM are related in
> > directory/file system handling. LET'S FORGET THE FILE SYSTEM PLEASE!
>
> Well, a cache outside of the image of downloaded artifacts tend to end
> up there.
>
> Caching stuff inside the image makes it non available to the other
> images. :)

If you ask me about the option "cache outside the image or only image
without cache" I'll choose the second one.

> Sure, we could use Magma or some other backend for the package cache -
> but IMHO those technologies aren't stable enough yet. And SM is (and
> will be) designed to be lightweight - that is also why I don't want a
> dependency on say Magma.

I agree with this point.  And SM has to be lightweight enough to run
WITHOUT a file system.

> regards, Göran

Cheers,

--