Socket performance

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed Nov 5 16:20:57 UTC 2003

In all of the tests that I've seen of Comanche's socket serving
performance, I've never seen it handle more than 50 incoming requests
per second, regardless of the CPU (if anyone has observed higher
performance, please let me know).  This makes me think that we may be
throttled by Squeak VM logic that checks for interrupts (and signals
external semaphores)...maybe, we're exeeding the size of the semaphores
to signal buffers.  Is there a way that I can play with the interval
that we check for interrupts without building a new VM?   Also, is there
a way to adjust the size of the semaphoresToSignal buffers?  And,
finally, is there a way to monitor the number of semaphores that are
being marked for signaling during each cycle (to see if we're
approaching or exceeding the limit)?

- Stephen