About reflection and it engineering

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Nov 5 18:13:44 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 18:50, ducasse wrote:
> On Lundi, nov 3, 2003, at 15:04 Europe/Zurich, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> > Do you know why the authors call Squeak a 5-metalevel system and
> > Little-Smalltalk a 3-metalevel system ?
>
> No I read that too.

It is unlikely I will find time to read the paper this year, so I could
be totally wrong. But the original Little Smalltalk used:

  instance ==> class ==> Class

while Squeak has

  instance ==> class ==> metaclass ==> Metaclass ==> Metaclass class +

The three level system was also used in Smalltalk-76. You can't have
class variables and such with it, which I don't think is such a huge
loss. Anyway, I think Little Smalltalk has since "evolved" to a more
complicated system.

-- Jecel