Registries

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Nov 5 20:12:58 UTC 2003

On Nov 5, 2003, at 3:36 AM, ducasse wrote:

> Hi avi
>
> I said initialize because I was thinking in terms of changesets. Now
> imagine a world where we have package like envy, sotre or monticello,
> we do not have these problems because these registrations should be
> done when the application, packages are loaded.

That's exactly the world I'm imagining.  But what is the mechanism by
which these registrations happen on load?  How are these registrations
*declared*?  One possibility is through annotations.  Another
possibility might be through adding a class - you could have a
FileListService class, and the way to register a new FileList service
is by loading a subclass (with some kind of #isActive method - there
might be cases when you want the class loaded but the service
disabled).  Yet another possibility (probably my least favorite) would
be to do what SUnit does and have a special selector prefix
(#fileListServiceFoo).  But IMO it's, erm, imperative that we have some
kind of declarative specification of these registrations.  That's been
my point all along.

I don't see why you say that "we do not have these problems"; it seems
to me that the problem (of using #initialize) just gets highlighted.

Avi