swiki, commanche , 3.6, network rewrite, oh my

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu Nov 6 04:12:03 UTC 2003

ar wrote:

>I am running 3.6gamma. For my swiki needs I am running a separate
>standalone ComSwiki (Comanche 5.0/Swiki 1.3). Now I need to bring swiki
>into my 3.6 development environment where I have also installed and am
>using KomHttpServer. I would like to be able to run a swiki side by side
>with my kom-using application in one image.
>
>Is this a big deal? What should I be thinking about here?

Swiki needs the old version of Comanche, therefore if you want to run in
a 3.6 image, you'll need to use the old version of Comanche...however,
you'll need a patched version to work with the 3.6 network rewrite.  The
SqueakMap package is:

http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/9b4a3faa-d342-4da8-8c3a-9a237bcea64d.

But, all the Swiki versions I've used had Comanche bundled in, so you
may need to do some work to separate Swiki from Comanche (I don't know
whether there is a Swiki changeset available that doesn't include Comanche).

>Things I think I
>should be thinking about:
>
>-what are the ramifications of the network rewrite on the swiki package

I really don't know the answer to this one, if Swiki only deals with the
network indirectly through Comanche, then there shouldn't be any
ramifications on Swiki (as long as you use the patched 5.1 version of
Comanche for Squeak 3.6).

>-is the swiki 1.3SMr1 on SqueakMap going to work in 3.6 since it doesnt
>say it does?
>- swiki says it wants to install Comanche. What is the relationship
>betweeen Kom and Comanche?

Kom is just an abbreviation of Comanche.

>Will they coexist?

You cannot load multiple versions of Comanche into a single image.

There is a very brief history here:  http://squeaklab.org/comanche

>I'm guessing one is some kind of fork of the other (and even
>" Comanche for 3.6" version 4 is a temp fork of Comanche, apparently).

Correct...it was done before Comanche 6.2 was running on Squeak 3.6.

>- should I move up to 3.7 before trying all this?

I can't see any reason you'd need to go to Squeak 3.7 unless you want
all the latest updates coming out.

>Anyway right after posting this I'm going to back everything up and then
>probably make a big mess trying to get it all working together. So any
>guidance would be appreciated.

Yes, it will likely be a big mess.  My advice is to load Comanche 6.2
(KomHttpServer on SqueakMap) and try out the SmallWiki package and see
if it will meet your needs.  If you want to stick with the old Swiki,
then my advice is to download and use one of the pre-configured images
for ComSwiki and don't use Comanche 6.2 or Squeak 3.6.

- Stephen