[BUG] MNU attempting to open a Package loader

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Nov 7 00:21:03 UTC 2003

Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:31:38PM +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> >
> > And yes - removing the .log files (in SqueakMap Base <1.08 you need to
> > delete the dir too) or the whole directory is completely safe and
> > "solves all problems". :)
> >
> could we then maybe get 1.08 in the update stream? maybe even as a bugfix
> for 3.6? We had, I guess, allready around 5 or more people experiencing
> the same problem. Everytime with "delete sm or update". And there will
> be 20 more, if this is not fixed.

Well, the problem itself here I am not sure what it is. 1.08 is a tad
smarter when you delete only the logfile and not the dir - that was what
I was trying to explain above. Deleting te "sm" dir has always worked as
a good medicine - it is just a mirror of the master, so there is no
information "lost".

But sure, SqueakMap Base 1.08 contains improvements and fixes. Exactly
how and when we issue updates regarding these packages I am not sure.
Doug may have some input here.

The situation with packages being "half in, half out" is a bit...
straining to think about. :)

But otherwise - sure, SqueakMap Base AND the Package Loader are improved
and fixed. Note that you need to upgrade both, though.

I tested the "upgrade all installed" in a vanilla 3.6 and it worked
nicely IIRC - which also upgraded the SARInstaller, but not Celeste - I
assume it had something to do with the SARInstaller or something.

regards, Göran

PS. During my work with SM2 I discovered that there is a "corruption" in
the map. It seems that a category (Maturity level) and a package
(SqueakAmp) share the same UUID. Hehehe, it goes back to the days of the
UUID bug - think it was a year ago. This should be fixed of course, but
I am doing it in SM2 which is due Very Soon Now. Really. :) Haven't
checked if this has to do with any of these problems.

PPS. SM2 has a completely different ImageSegment based synch which is 10
times more robust but does take more bandwidth since it always loads the
full map. But a full update is around 200kb so it isn't too bad. This
model will then change into an incremental one later in SM2.1.