Minor issue building Mac OS X VM on Panther with Xcode

Phil Hargett hargettp at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 8 12:41:44 UTC 2003

Big caveat: don't know if the standard VM source tree has changed
significantly in the last month or so.  Using the same source tree that
I have for about a month (generated with VMMaker from 3.7 and with a
platform tree from Sourceforge), I found one small issue while building
the VM on Panther with Xcode.

Xcode automatically upgrades Project Builder projects, so I had it
upgrade the project I had already tweaked from original sources that
had always worked fine.  Started a clean and then a build, things went
fine.  Only error was in "Squeak VM.r," a resource file where Xcode
complained that it "can't find resource 'hfdr'."  Odd, 'cause it looks
like a standard resource type that *should* be included (for
completeness).

Anyway, removing the "resource 'hfdr'" directive from the offending
file allowed the build to complete with success and the VM runs as
before.

Anybody have any guesses whether something has changed regarding what
Apple expects developers to do when building for Panther?  Perhaps
something needs to be made explicit that our projects have always
assumed was implicit.

Otherwise, works fine.