Minor issue building Mac OS X VM on Panther with Xcode

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Nov 8 17:56:52 UTC 2003

I had the same error, which I've not yet updated the tree for. The
error relates to a resource which is only required for os 7/8/9 finder
support. Apparently
the 10.3 resource headers have dropped that.

PS certainly what's nice is the distributed build logic, I've even
installed xcode on the kid's imac so I can compile across all the
machines in the office & house.
I should look about and see if there are internet accessible machines
now to distribute builds too?

On Nov 8, 2003, at 4:41 AM, Phil Hargett wrote:

> Big caveat: don't know if the standard VM source tree has changed
> significantly in the last month or so.  Using the same source tree
> that I have for about a month (generated with VMMaker from 3.7 and
> with a platform tree from Sourceforge), I found one small issue while
> building the VM on Panther with Xcode.
>
> Xcode automatically upgrades Project Builder projects, so I had it
> upgrade the project I had already tweaked from original sources that
> had always worked fine.  Started a clean and then a build, things went
> fine.  Only error was in "Squeak VM.r," a resource file where Xcode
> complained that it "can't find resource 'hfdr'."  Odd, 'cause it looks
> like a standard resource type that *should* be included (for
> completeness).
>
> Anyway, removing the "resource 'hfdr'" directive from the offending
> file allowed the build to complete with success and the VM runs as
> before.
>
> Anybody have any guesses whether something has changed regarding what
> Apple expects developers to do when building for Panther?  Perhaps
> something needs to be made explicit that our projects have always
> assumed was implicit.
>
> Otherwise, works fine.

===