"MC" change sets

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Nov 8 20:54:56 UTC 2003

On Nov 8, 2003, at 11:00 AM, shaffer-squeak at cs.westminster.edu wrote:

> In several of my images I've noticed that some of my code is ending up
> in ChangeSets named MC + a number.  I assume that these are related to
> Monticello (maybe even due to the fact that I have run the Monticello
> tests many times) but why is my code ending up in them?  They are not
> my default change set.  Is is safe to delete these change sets?  If I
> do, will my default change set still represent my changes to my image
> or do I somehow need to "move" changes from the MC change sets before
> I delete them?

These changesets are used when Monticello is loading/updating packages.
  They're there specifically so that package code doesn't clutter up
your default changeset - they're made the current changeset immediately
before loading, and the old changeset is restored immediately after -
so it's surprising that your code ended up there.  There may be a bug
(perhaps when running the tests?) that leaves one as the current
changeset.  If you find a way to reproduce that behavior, please let me
know.

It's definitely safe to delete them, although you'll want to use the
Dual Change Sorter to move any of your code out of them and into your
default cs before you do.

Of course, I'd encourage you to start using Monticello for your own
code instead, since it stops you from having these (quite typical, in
my experience) hassles with code going to the wrong changeset,
especially if you're working on several different projects at once.

Avi