CrLfFileStream oldFileNamed:

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 8 21:05:56 UTC 2003

"Germán S. Arduino" <gsa at softhome.net> wrote:
> Are only .desktop files (of Gnome desktop configuration), aren't bigs, and
> I would haven't problems in create a new ones and delete  or  (better)
> rename
> the original files, but searching in FileStream, StandarFileStream
> and CrLfFileStream I can't find the right methods to make that.

Well, you could write to .desktop.tmp or .desktop.new.  To do the
renaming, rename:toBe: will probably work:

	FileDirectory default rename: (oldname) toBe: (new name)

I am guessing that in the Unix VM this will happily overwrite the
existing file.  If that doesn't work, you can always delete the file
first using deleteFileNamed:, and then do a rename.

> > Besides, if you really want efficiency, you wouldn't
> > be using a text file at all, but would be using a database.  :)
>
> Why use databases having real object technology as Smalltalk! :)

Indeed.  We'd probably all love to do things like:

	Files at: '.desktop' put: (myDesktopLayoutObject)

:)

Lex