[MCZ] and adding related files

Phil Hargett hargettp at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 9 13:36:36 UTC 2003

Good to know!  I think Ginsu predates my awareness of Squeak, so I am
not familiar with it.

Based on what you said, if I could find Ginsu, it might be an
interesting place for me to start so that I can *add* aspect semantics
to it.  If by "aspect semantics" you meant the advice and pointcuts,
that's precisely what I'm interested in: the ability to modify the code
of an existing method to support my package  (aspect) better, but by
maintaining a logical separation between the original code and the code
that I've added.  Further, aspect semantics not only allow me to do
that, but others as well, in a matter that cleanly avoids many kinds of
change conflicts, as multiple kinds of advice can affect a single
method without necessarily causing a conflict.  That's our problem
today with changesets and packages: there can only be 1 version of a
method (or class) installed in the image, and there is no merging
possibility.  That is, the definition of a method in one changeset
cannot be merged safely with the definition of a method in another
changset.  AOP techniques open the possibility if making that
possible--if one is willing to add a new set of techniques to their
toolbelt.

Thanks for the info about Ginsu!