[Newbie] GUI Development

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 11 21:21:52 UTC 2003

Luke McCampbell <wolfgray at mac.com> wrote:
> Can anyone point me too any good examples of gui apps in morphic?
> Either tutorials or working apps. (Specifically with text fields and
> buttons, since the app I'm considering
> will have to take input from users and use it in calculations).

Go to the Swiki.  Look under "Documentation" and then "Morphic".  You
will find a lot of tutorials and overviews about Morphic.  If these seem
lacking, and you can think of something specific that would help, then
by all means post your request either to the page or to this mailing
list.  Until then, however, I feel obliged to leave you with a RTFM.  I
don't really understand why there are so many threads on the mailing
list saying we need more Morphic docs or more Squeak-intro docs.  There
are tons of them.

For larger examples, you can simply look around in the image.  For
example, the IRC client has a simple window with text fields when you
connect to a server.  When browsing the image, you will definitely want
to look into the gray halo handle, which has things like "inspect morph"
and "browse morph class"; these let you open up an example morph and
then disect it to see how it works.  Also, be sure to learn about
senders-of, implementors-of, inst-var-refs, etc. if you haven't already,
so that you can maneuver through the browsers effectively.

-Lex