[ANN] Squeak People

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Nov 13 12:02:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

> I agree with Stephane, what is the intention of this thing?

I guess Cees' intention is simply to experiment with "just another" approach
to community sites. Couple of things I like about it (and why I think it's
going to be successful):
* It's really simple to use and very intuitive
* It has a model of trust which seems really nice[*]
* It is very clean in its presentation and simple to read for anyone new to
Squeak

[*] If the trust model works out I could imagine that we use authorizations
derived from the site - e.g., something like "for the front page you have to
be certified journeyman or higher". Doing this would (I think) almost
immediately block any of the abuse we see on the Swiki today.

> And why not wait for the results of the November task force
> before opening another space for discussion?

TFNR has (in my understanding) very different goals. The site can be used to
discuss some of these but other than this I don't see any overlap
whatsoever. Do you?

> Such a thing could be a nice thing for a task force who works
> on a specific project; but at the moment this context is missing
> ... why not enhance the existing processes?

Not sure I understand this. Personally, I think the site _is_ an enhancement
of the existing processes.

Cheers,
  - Andreas