[ANN] Squeak People

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Thu Nov 13 21:03:18 UTC 2003

Hi,

Andreas Raab wrote:
>>I agree with Stephane, what is the intention of this thing?
> I guess Cees' intention is simply to experiment with "just another" approach
> to community sites. Couple of things I like about it (and why I think it's
> going to be successful):
> * It's really simple to use and very intuitive
> * It has a model of trust which seems really nice[*]
> * It is very clean in its presentation and simple to read for anyone new to
> Squeak

More experiments at this time? Is this the answer? Probably not.

We need negotiations for focus; TFNR is attempting to find more
maintainers/stewards for the different areas. We should wait for
their final report.

> [*] If the trust model works out I could imagine that we use authorizations
> derived from the site - e.g., something like "for the front page you have to
> be certified journeyman or higher". Doing this would (I think) almost
> immediately block any of the abuse we see on the Swiki today.

Abuse is nearly a non-issue; incidents are quickly reverted and that is
boring for people who want to abuse the swiki. A better organization of
the data / structure is surely of higher priority. A new platform could
be a valuable asset for this (porting the data to SmallWiki?).

The problem is not the abuse, the problem is that it is hard to write
tests, hard to disentangle the image, hard to write documentation and so
one.

Progress with 3.6 has been very encouraging and why not just continue
that way? I think the people involved have been doing a excellent job.
Lets get this BFAV process running at full speed!

> Not sure I understand this. Personally, I think the site _is_ an enhancement
> of the existing processes.

In which dimension? Where does it fit in? What does it replace?

As a summary: I was away for some time and I'm surprised and excited to
find Squeak in such a good shape!!! It is amazing what one finds on
SqueakMap. Today I set up a SmallWiki site; it was extremly easy.
It is exciting to have a wiki I can easily transfer from
a Mac to a PC with basically nil setup and and configuration efforts.
And the whole wiki is a real object (one root, composite pattern).

As we begin to have these exciting Squeak solutions
why go back to other stuff?

Cheers
Hannes