Best Squeak setup for servers

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Nov 13 21:47:00 UTC 2003

Hello,

I just got my server in recently and am about install the OS and get
Squeak setup.

It is a dual Opteron 240 with 4gb ram and 4 250GB SATA drives.

I am looking at using Squeak, HV2, GOODS, possibly SmallWiki at some
point in the near future. Possibly thttpd (for static content) or Apache.

OS will be probably Gentoo Linux, maybe hmmm, NetBSD.
I have never used BSD but NetBSD seems to be better off for the AMD64
unless I simply install Gentoo as 32bit Athlon XP.
AMD64 support on Linux isn't yet real mature, with the exception of Suse
which isn't an option.

I don't know that anything I am running would benefit from 64bit.
I may be just as well of installing a purely 32bit OS optimized for the
Athlon XP?

Do I need X11 for anything?
Should I just install with framebuffer for development and run headless
for deployment?

I believe I read something somewhere about some using VNC for remote
administration.

I will not have local access to the machine once deployed it will be
colocated either 20 or 70 miles away depending on my hosting choice.
(probably 70 miles, 1.5 hour drive)

Which image is best?
What preparations to the image to strip it down for a server image?

What are the best practices for preparing Squeak for a server environment?

Any help and wisdom greatly, appreciated.

Jimmie Houchin