[ANN] Squeak People

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Nov 13 22:09:19 UTC 2003

Am 13.11.2003 um 22:50 schrieb Darius:

> I suspect this means applications will eventually use automated
> logging of
> user-application or HCI performance for statistical analysis so the
> application
> can adapt itself to specific users and their habits, thus making the
> acquiring
> of useful metadata even easier. All this since teams, commitments, and
> requirements are such fluid things that no one wants to keep editing
> the digital
> representations of such groups of people. You're a member of a group
> and acquire
> roles and identity by the history of what you do, rather than applying
> a label
> or being listed in a list.

If you ever have access to a Mac: Play a little with DEVONthink.
(http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/devonthink.php)

This is one of those "free form database/supplementary brain"
applications.
So you can select text anywhere, press a shortcut, and it's copied into
the brain.
(or drop a file or  import whole directory-trees... it can work with
.txt, .doc, .rtf, .pdf
and some more)

One aspect of metadata is classification: We happily sort our stuff in
directories
to later have any chance to find the document we seach for. Or, if we
have a
document, we'd like to find related stuff.

DEVONthink tries to do this (after some training) automatically.... and
this even
seems to work. Very nice app, actually.

       Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de