Team Development

stregone at att.net stregone at att.net
Fri Nov 14 09:05:06 UTC 2003

Hi all.

I'm the Chief Architect/CTO for a software company and as I mentioned in an
earlier post, we're starting several new projects.  Some of these projects are
using Smalltalk (the first time for us, though I've been using it at home for
years).  The reasons for switching to Smalltalk are various but mainly revolve
around faster implementation, existing projects/libraries that implement some
of the functionality we need, and the fact that I tired of our constantly
breaking procedural Java code.

The "problem" is this.  Up until now we've used CVS for code versioning,
sharing, and back-ups.  CVS works at the "project and class" levels.  Now,
I've looked around a bit at the options available, but unfortunately I won't
have time to try them all- so I'm hoping to benefit from the experts on this
list.

First off, do we have a best pratices page for team development on the wiki?
We it be of use to anyone if I documented this changeover that we're making as
a commercial software house?

Secondly, it seems to me that perhaps Monticello is the closest thing to CVS
in the sense that it also operates on the package and class levels?  Whereas
Magma, for example, operates more on the object level.  Or have I
misunderstood?  I know that this may be the time for a paradigm shift (and I'm
open to that), but the other developers have not been using Smalltalk and
they're in for several paradigm shifts as it is.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Brian

Brian Pagano