Best Squeak setup for servers

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Nov 14 00:29:10 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just got my server in recently and am about install the OS and get
> Squeak setup.
>
> It is a dual Opteron 240 with 4gb ram and 4 250GB SATA drives.

Sounds HOT. :)

[SNIP]
> Do I need X11 for anything?
> Should I just install with framebuffer for development and run headless
> for deployment?
>
> I believe I read something somewhere about some using VNC for remote
> administration.

The VNC solution works very good. I run some using -headless and some
using VNC.

> I will not have local access to the machine once deployed it will be
> colocated either 20 or 70 miles away depending on my hosting choice.
> (probably 70 miles, 1.5 hour drive)
>
> Which image is best?
> What preparations to the image to strip it down for a server image?

As Cees said - I haven't bothered doing much stripping either. But there
was some impressive sounding stripping scripts posted recently.

> What are the best practices for preparing Squeak for a server environment?

Hmmm. Well. :) Don't know of any really. There are some tricks to set up
a Squeak server as a proper daemon etc. Otherwise I don't know much.

> Any help and wisdom greatly, appreciated.
>
> Jimmie Houchin

regards, Göran