[Test][Bug?] Smalltalk compressSources (was: Re: Which PDA best for running squeak ?)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Nov 14 23:53:22 UTC 2003

Dan Ingalls wrote:
> Also, I don't know if all the tricks have been collected anywhere, but considerable savings are available via source-code management.
>
> If you don't care about comments, you can use
>
> 	Smalltalk abandonSources
>
> which lets you decompile to get access to source code without any file space needed.
>
> Even if you want full source code with comments, you can use
>
> 	Smalltalk condenseSources
>
> which reclaims any source code space from methods that have been altered or deleted.  this can be a great savings for any system with a large changes file, or where you have deleted a lot of the original full system.
>
> Finally, after condensing, you can also use
>
> 	Smalltlak compressSources
>
> available from SqueakMap, to reduce the remaining sources file to something like 25% of its uncompressed size.

Hi Dan

I took a a fresh full 3.6 release on a Mac and updated
with the package loader the installed packages.

Then I loaded the compressed sources package and evaluated
	Smalltalk condenseSources
  	Smalltalk compressSources

Then I saved the image and quit.
I deleted the files marked as 'old' and restarted the image.

I could browse the source code in the SystemBrowser.

However loading additional packages from SM caused an error
message (walkback).

I keep many backup copies of my images and I like to have all things
conveniently in one directory. Compressing the sources file comes in
handy. I move my Squeak work forth and back using a memory stick between
a Mac at work and Windows machines at home.

So I would love to have that, but at the moment not beeing able
to load additional packages prevents me to do that?

Am I missing something? Other test experiences?

Regards
Hannes

P.S. I updated some Swiki pages like
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3510