Warning: Large Babel translation update coming soon

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 14 23:29:18 UTC 2003

The ~600 method changeset which converts the UI to use translated
strings will be incorporated soon... probably tomorrow (Saturday)
evening.  It sounds like the "explicit" approach has been more or less
agreed upon by the people who have an interest in translation issues.
(see Stef's message below)  It's been approved by Stephane (and others),
although I guess it never was published as an [enh], perhaps because it
was too large.

Anyway, this is a bit of a warning before the changeset goes in, in case
anyone has a comment.

I guess this does mean that people adding text to the end-user UI will
need to remember to add #translated messages to the strings that appear
in the UI.  (The end-user UI appears to include etoys, morphs,
filelists, etc. but not development tools like browsers.)  Anyway, this
adds a minor bit of complexity, but having Squeak easily available in
many languages will be a great thing!

The changeset is currently here:

http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/uploads/191/CompleteTranslationFor37-dgd.cs.gz

There are a few conflicts with more recent methods since this changeset
was written, but those should be covered by Stephane's BabelConflicts
fix from yesterday, which I'll also include as an update.

- Doug