Best Squeak setup for servers

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Nov 14 23:37:25 UTC 2003

On Nov 14, 2003, at 2:17 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Are you suggesting that the display be updated *less* often when
> bandwidth is challenged,  e.g., wait for 100 milliseconds before
> sending
> any screen updates even if multiple morphic cycles happen in the
> interim?  You can probably approximate this effect by changing the
> "MinCycleLapse" variable in PasteUpMorph.  That will slow down all of
> Morphic, but I would guess that cycles you can't see give you about the
> same user experience as simply cycles that are less frequent.

Yes, in my observations from a few years back, changing MinCycleLapse
time
versus deferring updates had two very different effects. Although care
is taken
to bundle up and display things, still you could get a stream of
updated pixel events
from an ill behaved screen draw which just overwhelms the ability of
the transportation
to send you those little bits over a reasonable amount of time.

> --
===