File names was Re: Warning: Large Babel translation

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Nov 15 01:32:24 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> Right now the primitives that supply or take file names/paths expect to
> see MacRoman characters
> which then map mostly to the apple fonts for display, or better to the
> AccuFonts which actually gets things right.
> However this isn't helpful for folks which can insert unicode
> characters into file names.
>
> Now what I'm proposing is to change the mac os-x vm  return and deal
> with UTF-8 strings.  That way
> picking a unicode based file will later allow the opening of the file.
>
> I welcome comment.

  I don't fully understand what you meant by 'file name' and 'displaying'
relationship,

  I assume that 'VM returns and deals with UTF-8 string' means that
the VM doesn't do any translation on file names; e.g. a byte sequence
that represents a file name in the file system doesn't get translated
any of dir_lookup() or upper, and passed to the image, right?

  That's probably ok if we don't have to worry about the compatibility
with old/current images.  I like the idea that the VM doesn't do any
translation and the image deals with the conversion between the OS and
the (upper level of) Squeak image expect.

  Hayashi-san made a patch along with this line, so he must have got
some thing to say how it should be implemented.

-- Yoshiki