[FIX] Smalltalk compressSources

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Sat Nov 15 09:53:12 UTC 2003

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Hi, Hannes -
>
> I'm glad to hear your enthusiasm for compressed soruces.  I, too, got an error stemming from the PackageLoader's need to access the fileID of the Sources file.  If you have a chance, would you please define
>
> 	CompressedSourcesFile>>fileID
> 		^ segmentFile fileID
>
> and see if this cures your problem.  You should be able to do this in the saved image file and then run the PackageLoader.  If this solves your problem (and probably in any event), I'll put out a new version ASAP (which might not be immediately ;-).
>
> Thanks for testing this!
>
> 	- Dan

Dan,

Thank you for the quick answer. I could fix the problem
with this information.

To be precise there is no class CompressedSourcesFile but a class
CompressedSourceStream. So I added the accessor method 'fileID'
you suggested to that class

CompressedSourceStream>>fileID
	^segmentFile fileID

And it worked! Great!

A full 3.6 release is now instead of 35MB only about 18MB.
A 50% cut. This nearly doubles the number of backup copies and image
variants I can keep on a memory stick.

Thank you very much for coming up with this important new feature!

My suggestion is that others test this as well and in the future this
might even become a standard feature of the base release.

Regards
Hannes