Warning: Large Babel translation update coming soon

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Nov 15 12:20:39 UTC 2003

ducasse wrote:
> inform: 'hello'                         <- get magically translate
 >
> inform: ('<1> talks too much to '<2>') format: { self stef . self
>       anotherPerson}                    <- explicit translation

Actually, with "implicit translation" both cases would just translate
the string literal in-place. There is no inconsistence. Both your
examples do not show any "explicit" translation, since #format: does
*not* do the translation, but just operates on another (translated)
formatting string instead.

Even in the "explicit" implementation, #format: does not do any
translation. The only difference (for someone writing localizable code)
between the approaches should be that each literal string is explicitely
marked for translation by sending #translated, like this:

self inform: 'hello' translated

self inform: ('<1> talks too much to '<2>' translated
	 format: { self stef . self  anotherPerson})

Anyway, I'm all for getting the explicit version in now. If we decide
later to switch to an implicit model, it's easy to remove all
#translated sends in the image, plus implementing it as a no-op to
support old external code.

Cheers to the m17n team!

--
    Bert