[Test][Bug?] Smalltalk compressSources (was: Re: Which PDA best for running squeak ?)

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Nov 15 08:37:35 UTC 2003

On 14/11/03 20:53, "Hannes Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch>
wrote:

> Dan Ingalls wrote:
>> Also, I don't know if all the tricks have been collected anywhere, but
>> considerable savings are available via source-code management.
>>
>> If you don't care about comments, you can use
>>
>> Smalltalk abandonSources
>>
>> which lets you decompile to get access to source code without any file space
>> needed.
>>
>> Even if you want full source code with comments, you can use
>>
>> Smalltalk condenseSources
>>
>> which reclaims any source code space from methods that have been altered or
>> deleted.  this can be a great savings for any system with a large changes
>> file, or where you have deleted a lot of the original full system.
>>
>> Finally, after condensing, you can also use
>>
>> Smalltlak compressSources
>>
>> available from SqueakMap, to reduce the remaining sources file to something
>> like 25% of its uncompressed size.
>>

> Hi Dan
>
> I took a a fresh full 3.6 release on a Mac and updated
> with the package loader the installed packages.
>
> Then I loaded the compressed sources package and evaluated
> Smalltalk condenseSources
> Smalltalk compressSources
>
> Then I saved the image and quit.
> I deleted the files marked as 'old' and restarted the image.
>
> I could browse the source code in the SystemBrowser.
>
> However loading additional packages from SM caused an error
> message (walkback).
>

> I keep many backup copies of my images and I like to have all things
> conveniently in one directory. Compressing the sources file comes in
> handy. I move my Squeak work forth and back using a memory stick between
> a Mac at work and Windows machines at home.
>
> So I would love to have that, but at the moment not beeing able
> to load additional packages prevents me to do that?
>
> Am I missing something? Other test experiences?
>
> Regards
> Hannes
>
> P.S. I updated some Swiki pages like
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3510

Hannes:

I playing with Dan's code for having compressed sources in images used in
SBlog development and testing HpptView2 (and others Goran stuff)
You see this is loading Monticello packages and most times works fine.

Only problem what I have is sometimes trying save and quit I have a VM quit
losting my job.

Currently I using Squeak 3.6.0Beta3 Vm on OS X 10.2.6 (Imac G4) and on OS
9.1 (iBook G3), and also carrying USB memory card to Windows machines in UTN
running windows 2000.

Hope this could help you.

edgar